My dog training education started when I was around 14 years old when I was visiting a local dog training facility with our family Hovawart.
This is my member card of the local Cynology club:
Later I started to work also on my theoretical knowledge by reading books, articles and watching lectures on DVD.
In 2015 I attended a course Dogwise – Becoming a Better Dog Trainer by Engaging the Mind of The Dog provided by COAPE (The Centre Of Applied Pet Ethology). Main objectives of this course were:
- Behavioral and Physical Development of the Domestic Dog
- Learning and Behaviour
- Understanding Aggression
- Identifying and Modifying Behaviour Problems
For more, you can visit the link. I passed this course with the grade “A – Distinction”
During my studies in Brno (Czech Republic) I cooperated with local School for
guide dogs, by walking the dogs, later as a foster, and finally, as a trainer.
In 2016 I ended the cooperation with the guide dog school. Currently, I live with and take care of a Labrador retriever – former guide dog on “invalid retirement”. I am teaching him some funny tricks – for example, to bring a beer, which is a very important skill.
Currently, I am continuously extending my education, for example through various seminars and lectures taught by veterinarian and behaviorist Dr. Ian Dunbar, which are mostly focused on:
- Biological development of domestic dog, the importance of socialization, habituation, and prevention
- addressing the most common behavioral and training problems like house soiling, destructive chewing, excessive barking, home-alone problems, and separation anxiety, jumping up, pulling on the leash, ignoring the recall, lack of attention and compliance…
- addressing temperament problems – fearfulness, stress, aggression – using non-aversive techniques
- lure-reward training and how to phase out the lure
Overview of attended seminars and courses:
Seminar / Course
|Becoming a better dog trainer by engaging the Mind of the dog||The Centre of Applied Ethology|
|Animal training using the positive reinforcement||RNDr. František Šusta, PhD|
|Simple solutions for common Dog Behavior and Training problems||Dr. Ian Dunbar|
|Growl class – a workshop demo for reactive dogs||Dr. Ian Dunbar|
|SIRIUS® Dog Trainer Academy||Dr. Ian Dunbar|
|How to “unlearn”||RNDr. František Šusta, PhD|
|How dogs communicate||Ing. Pavel Bradáč|
|Resource guarding||Ing. Pavel Bradáč|